Monday, September 12, 2011

Wisconsin Sheep and Wool Festival





This was my first festival of this sort. Other states have this as well. It was in Jefferson, WI. I went on Saturday and got there by 7am to watch the sheep and dog trials. It was quite interesting! I was able to talk to one of the participants who explained how it all works. I watched him work one of his dogs and it sounded like they did pretty well. Then I went to check out the sheep. I saw a bunch of different sheep breeds like Blue Faced Leicester, Romney, Shetland, and others. I petted some and watched a shearer sheep some sheep. It was interesting as well. It's amazing the sheep don't put up more of a fight.

I had lunch and ate a bbq pulled lamb sandwhich. It was good and didn't taste like lamb at all. The highlight was the shopping. I didn't get much because the prices are so high. But I got one hank/skein of shetland/alpaca wool. It's the black picture. I took pics of the lable. This lady raises her own shetland sheep and the yarn is not dyed. I am anxious to knit with it. Then I got a second shein of the Packer yarn. I had one skein and needed another. They are from the same shop. My luxury item I bought was a pair of double knit (lined inside with the same yarn as the outer just connected at the cuff). Alpaca mittens! I needed new mittens and am going to attempt to knit my own at some point.

The last thing I bought was a shawl pin. As soon as one of my shawls is finished I can use it. I hope I can go again next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment