Sunday, February 19, 2012

Socks socks socks...and shawls

This week I have been knitting exclusively on my Packer socks. I am knitting the heel and am at the half way point. Then I cut my knitting...yes I said cut. Actually it's only one stitch. It's to make a hole to make the leg. It's pretty cool that you can cut one stitch and spread it to make a hole and the knitting keeps it from going all the way to the edge. If things go well, I should have the sock done sometime this week. I'm too beat from work to work on it tonight, Sunday.

Next up I am going to try again to knit 2 socks at a time with two seperate yarns. One will be the packer yarn and one a different yarn. I haven't decided yet which yarn.

Then I decided I want to make socks for the family. The pattern I am using requires you to draw your foot on a piece of cardboard for your personal footprint. Plus the person has to be around for them to try it on so they can tell me if it's too tight or too loose. It's from the toe up not the cuff down. Once a sock is finished and the important info is recorded, then I can make that person upteen socks and they will always fit-assuming their feet don't grow!

Here is a video explaining the "pattern"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6d076POJ04

Here is a video showing how you cut the knitting to make the leg opening.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztbI4T373PU&feature=related

I hope these links are highlighted. If not just cut and paste the link to the top address bar (for lack of a better term). Make sure the current "address" is gone by deleting it before you put the new one in there.

The other thing that is controlling my knitting brain is I want to make myself a double knit shawl. By double knit I mean that one side is say black and the other side is gray. It looks pretty easy. I have some church clothes that I would like to have a double knit shawl for so I can change the color based on what I am wearing. I realized pretty quick based on squeezing my sock that I will need to use fingering weight or sock weight yarn. Otherwise it will be as thick as bulky weight yarn and not look good or have any drape.

Here's a link to a picture of the shawl:
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/intertwined-shawl

Here is a video showing what double knitting looks like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SJ8qd713_g&feature=related

Joel still hasn't uploaded the camera softwear to the new computer yet so I can't show you any pics. Our old computer died and we were able to get an identical computer (not the screen) for free. It is in pristine condition and looks hardly used. Plus it's 10x faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment