Wednesday, December 21, 2011

learned new technique

I am almost done with the hat for Joel. I was knitting happily on my circular when I noticed I was decreasing and I was struggling to get the stitches around the needle. In short, my needle was to long for the number of stitches I had. So in my "brilliance" I decided I could transfer them to straight needles. I soon found out you can't do that. I was wondering why I couldn't find anything on the web talking about transfering from circular to straight needles.

I went to my yarn store and she gave me 2 options. I could use 2 circulars or use double points. I choose the 2 circs. She showed me how to do it and I was a bit confused but something told me it was simple. And it is! I expected to get ladders but there are none. I get ladders in my socks working on one large circular or magic loop. It's smooth and I can decrease my stitches and low as needed and the 2 circs method handles it perfectly. I am quite impressed and surprised. I always dismissed patterns with 2 circs because it looked to hard with all theose needles hanging down. Ha! How silly am I? I am serioursly considering starting my next pair of socks with 2 circs. I'll do anything to get good looking socks. I might even use 2 circs when I rip out the hat and start over.

The shawl has screetched to a halt. I have been focused on this hat. It's much more interesting and I know it will get done for Christmas. I have a bad case of start-itis. I plan to start 2 scarfs on Friday and Saturday. One yarn is wool and angora and the other is a discontinued expensive yarn I found at Goodwill for $.99. Both scarves should go fast since one is 2 50gram balls and the other is just one 50gram ball.

No comments:

Post a Comment