Tuesday, January 24, 2012

More yarn thoughts

I took a closer look at the alpaca yarn I have and it is not a worsted weight. I compared it to the sock yarn I have and it is twice the thickness of the sock yarn. So I am guessing it is a sport weight. I do not know how many ply it is as the tag does not have that info. So if it is a sport weight, then I think my needle size needs to really go down. Maybe a 2 or a 3. I have size 3. I've never knit anything smaller than a 4. I'm not sure if I will have enough yarn now. Tomorrow I will go to St. Vincent DePaul and look for size 1 and 2 needles. I have two pairs of size 3 straights . I am planning on choosing a size, knitting the ribbing on straight needles. I will see how it fits around my ankle/leg and then go from there. Most likely I will have to buy some circular needles to finish them in the round. I figure it works for the mittens, it can work for the legwarmers. I'm not completely sold on using the alpaca but I really don't want to spend money on yarn right now. Plus if I need to buy needles, I will need that money for the needles. The thing that depresses me is since the yarn is sport weight, it will take twice as long to knit them than if they were worsted weight. I also want to knit them 2 at a time on 2 circular needles. I might consider doing magic loop since I have the cords for them. I would just have to buy the needle tips. I would use metal because when you get down to sizes 1-4 the wood can't handle the stress and will break.

No comments:

Post a Comment